TO protect the agency’s integrity, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Tuesday asked President Benigno Aquino 3rd to identify the officers whom he referred to as “less trustworthy.”
NBI director Nonnatus Rojas on Monday tendered his irrevocable resignation citing delicadeza after amid reports that Malacañang distrusts some of the agency’s officials.
“At stake dito yung institusyon na parang nababatikos. Kaya naman as head of the agency, minarapat nya na mag-resign para mabigyan ng pagkakataon na makapag-imbestiga kung sino man yung mag-iimbestiga, malaya silang makapag-imbestiga dito,” said NBI spokesman Cecilio Zamora Jr.
The NBI is still hoping that the President will not accept Rojas’s resignation.
“Sana pangalanan na para hindi naman lahat ng opisyal ay napapagbintangan,” Zamora said.
Zamora added that naming the officials implicated in the Napoles tip-off will also give the NBI a chance to explain.
“Yung wala talagang kinalaman eh malinis naman yung pangalan at para din naman yung mga mapapangalanan eh magkaroon naman ng chance na mapagtanggol yung kanilang sarili,” he explained.
Zamora said the bureau is in low spirit following the resignation of Rojas, who was offended by the derogatory remarks coming from the President.
Rojas, who was appointed NBI chief in July last year, handled controversial cases like the Atimonan shootout, Balintang Channel shooting and the pyramid scam.
“Lahat naman yun sa time nya and maayos naming naisampa yung kaso,” Zamora said.
Meanwhile, the President has yet to accept or reject the resignations of Rojas and his deputies, a Malacañang official said.
A day after Rojas quit, NBI Deputy Director for Administrative Services Edmundo Arugay also tendered his resignation.
This was in response to Justice Secretary Leila de Lima’s call for six deputy directors to resign in the wake of reports that NBI ranking officials tipped off the Napoles camp about the impending issuance of an arrest warrant against Janet Lim-Napoles and her brother Reynald on August 14.
Aside from Arugay, the other deputy directors asked to quit were Rickson Chiong (Technical Services), Reynaldo Esmeralda (Intelligence Service), Ruel Lasala (Special Investigation Services), Virgilio Mendez (Regional Operation Services), and Rafael Ragos (Comptroller Services).
Palace deputy spokesman Abigail Valte said that there is no decision yet on the resignations.