NBI urged to examine body of Filipino said to commit suicide in Taiwan

0

 

 

Vice President Jejomar Binay has asked the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to do its own autopsy on a 29-year-old Filipino worker in Taiwan who is said to have committed suicide.

Binay, who is the Presidential adviser on OFW concerns, made the request after the worker’s parents doubted the claim of Taiwanese officials that he killed himself.

The family has requested that the name of the overseas Filipino worker (OFW) be withheld.

Binay has also asked the Manila Economic and Cultural Office (MECO) to assist OFW’s family after Taiwanese authorities failed to give them copies of the police report and medico legal findings.

The OFW’s brother, who along with his sister had flown to Taiwan to claim the body, said the Taipei police had refused to give them the names of the two workers who found his brother’s body.

He said that they were informed his brother had committed suicide, even before the autopsy was conducted.

“In fact, we have yet to receive a copy of the police report of the incident,” he said.

The brother also said that while the Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office (TECO) has given them “full support,” the family has yet to receive a copy of the OFW’s medico legal report from Taiwanese authorities.

The family raised concerns over what they said was an “unusually long time” for the autopsy results to be released.

“The autopsy was conducted on July 20. We were told it would take two months for the results to be known,” the brother said.

The OFW’s mother said she called up his son’s recruitment agency on June 28 and informed them that her son was found hanging in the production area on the ground floor of the company he was working around 7:35 a.m.

The OFW had rendered overtime until 11 p.m. the previous night.

The mother added that it was also the agency who told them her son had committed suicide The OFW had been working in Taiwan as a machinist for three-and-a-half years.

The mother said her son was six months into his second contract when he died.

She said her son came home on December 12 last year when his three-year contract ended. He flew to Taiwan on January 30 upon renewal of his contract.

Binay has pledged his office will be assisting the family in processing the OFW’s death benefit claims from the Overseas Workers’ Welfare Administration, Home Development Mutual Fund, and the Social

Security System.

The OFW’s wife is due to give birth to their second child on September. They have a seven-year-old son.

RITCHIE A. HORARIO

 

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.