TACLOBAN CITY: The Office of Civil Defense (OCD) reported that 3,946 families victims of Super Typhoon Yolanda in the provinces of Leyte and Samar have received cash assistance from the government.
As of June 30, the OCD has already released the financial aid of PHP10,000 each for the 20th batch of families who applied for assistance from the central government. Likewise, 1,305 Yolanda-injured persons got PHP5,000 compensation.
Nearly two years after the disaster struck, the OCD regional office still accepts applications for financial assistance intended for families whose members were killed by the typhoon.
OCD administrative officer Ben Linde said the deadline for the application was originally on Nov. 8, 2014, but it has been extended since there are many families who have not yet availed such benefit.
“We decided to continue accepting applications, but it still depends on the decision of our central office when to stop processing requests,” Linde said.
The requirements needed for families with deceased family member are death certificate, village certificate, and endorsement from the city or town mayor. While for the injured people they are required to submit a medical certificate signed by doctor, but it should be related to disaster.
One of those who received the compensation was Thomas Gayoso, 47, resident of San Jose district, this city. He lost his wife Emiliana during the catastrophe.
“I submitted all the requirements in March last year, but it took a year before I received the financial assistance,” Gayoso recalled.
Delayed releases, according to Linde is out of their control since it is the job of their main office.
“They are the ones who process the release of check and if we received those papers from our central office, that’s the time we scheduled the release of financial assitance,” Linde, administrative officer of OCD said.