New York defiant in face of IS video threat

0

NEW YORK: A defiant New York stared down an Islamic State propaganda video threatening the city as White House hopeful Hillary Clinton called for a US-led global fight to defeat the extremists.

Advertisements

Less than a week after attacks claimed by the group killed 129 people in Paris, an IS video showed a man preparing a suicide vest and fingering its trigger, interlaced with footage of New York’s Times and Herald Squares.

Police immediately said that there was “no current or specific threat,” and Mayor Bill de Blasio and Police Commissioner Bill Bratton went to Times Square in the middle of the night to reassure residents.

“The people of New York City will not be intimidated,” de Blasio told reporters beneath the bright lights of the square, in the heart of New York’s entertainment district.

“We understand it is the goal of terrorists to intimidate and disrupt our democratic society. We will not submit to their wishes.

“There is no specific and credible threat against New York City. So it’s crucial that people go about their normal business.”

It was a message reiterated by FBI Director James Comey: “We are not aware of any credible threat here (in the US) of a Paris-type attack. And we have seen no connection at all between the Paris attackers and the United States.”

New York has the largest police force in the United States with 35,000 officers. By chance, this week also saw the first deployment of 100 extra rapid reaction counterterrorism officers out of a promised 500.

Bratton said the video was “nothing new.”

“We believe it’s a compilation of videos going back to one in August that was directed against Germany, one in October directed against Israel, and 19 seconds of about a five-and-a-half-minute video released today had scenes of New York,” he said.

As America’s largest city, entertainment and financial capital, New York is on a near-constant state of alert, particularly since the 9/11 Al-Qaeda attacks killed more than 2,700 at the Twin Towers.

Since then, more than 20 plots have been thwarted, including four in the last two years, said counterterrorism chief John Miller.

The city is preparing to welcome an influx of millions of visitors during the busy holiday season, which traditionally opens with the Thanksgiving Parade next Thursday.

AFP

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.