THE National Housing Authority (NHA) has already released P388 million to local government units (LGUs) for the repair of partially damaged houses in Bohol, according to Vice President Jejomar Binay.
Binay said under the Housing Materials Assistance (HOMA), the NHA will provide P10,000 for every family whose home was damaged by the 7.2 magnitude quake that hit Bohol.
“The government remains committed in helping the earthquake victims rebuild their lives. This is only the start,” Binay said.
Binay added that the municipalities of Maribojoc and Antequera already received checks worth P33.4 million and P31.78 respectively.
The Vice President personally handed Mayor Leoncio Evasco and Mayor Jose Mario Pahang the checks when he visited Bohol in November.
He added that the checks for the municipalities of Tubigon, San Isidro, Catigbian, Sagbayan, and Loon can now be claimed.
According to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), the quake had damaged 73,002 houses (14,512 totally damaged and 58,490 partially damaged) in Bohol, Cebu, Negros Occidental, Negros Oriental, Iloilo, Siquijor and Guimaras.
Binay had earlier created a multi-agency task force to see to the housing needs of Central Visayas residents whose homes were destroyed by the October 15 earthquake.
The Vice President said aside from the shelter agencies under the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC), the Bohol-Cebu housing rehabilitation task force will include the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG).
The HUDCC is composed of the NHA, the Home Development Mutual (Pag-IBIG) Fund, the Home Guaranty Corporation, the Housing and Land Use Regulatory Board, the National Home Mortgage Finance Corporation, and the Social Housing Finance Corporation.
RITCHIE A. HORARIO