HONG KONG: A Nigerian man who was quarantined after he showed Ebola-like symptoms while traveling to Hong Kong has tested negative for the deadly virus.
The southern Chinese city government said in a statement late on Sunday that the man, 32, had “tested negative for Ebo- la virus upon preliminary laboratory testing.”
“In the past one month . . . he had no contact history with sick persons or animals and did not visit health-care facilities. He is currently in stable condition,” a government spokesman said in the statement.
The man arrived in Hong Kong from Lagos, Nigeria’s most popu–lous city, via Dubai on Thursday and was hospitalized on Sunday after vomiting and having diarrhea.
Concerns are growing over the potential spread of the disease, which has claimed nearly 1,000 lives in west Africa this year.
Hong Kong, a densely po–pulated city of some seven million people, is particularly alert to the spread of viruses after Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome killed almost 300 people 11 years ago.
On July 30, the Hong Kong government said it would quaran–tine as a precaution all people from Ebola infected areas who showed any symptom of the disease such as fever, vomiting or diarrhea.
Last week, a woman who showed Ebola-like symptoms after returning from a holiday in Kenya tested negative for the virus.
Nigeria along with Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia have been hardest hit by the latest epidemic, which the World Health Organization (WHO) has called the worst outbreak of its kind in four decades.
Nigeria—the most populous nation in Africa—confirmed two new cases on Friday of the often fatal hemorrhagic disease, bringing the total number of infections to nine, including two deaths.