Filipino casualties has so far been reported injured or killed in a tragic crane accident Friday at the Grand Mosque in Mecca, Saudi Arabia ahead of the annual Hajj, Malacañang said Saturday.
Deputy presidential spokesman Abigail Valte said that the Philippine consulate in Jeddah has yet to receive reports of Filipinos casualties where more than 100 people were killed.
“As of today, wala naman pong report so far tungkol sa mga Pilipinong nadamay o nasaktan doon sa naging aksidente sa Mecca,” Valte said, hoping that this situation remains unchanged.
Valte, nevertheless, said our Consulate General would keep an eye out for Filipinos who might be caught up in the mishap eventually to provide them necessary assistance.
“Patuloy ho ang pagbabantay ng ating consulate-general doon para kung sakaling … huwag naman po sana, at nakikiramay din po tayo doon sa mga pamilya ng nadamay doon sa naging aksidente roon (The consulate-general continues to monitor the situation. We condole with the families of those who got killed in the accident),” she told government radio, Radyo ng Bayan.
There are at least a million Filipino migrant workers in Saudi Arabia, according to records of the Commission on Filipinos Overseas.
Authorities in Saudi Arabia blamed tempestuous winds and heavy rains for the crane’s collapse, which tore the mosque’s ceiling, crushing several worshippers in the process.
The incident happened two weeks before the Hajj, an annual Islamic pilgrimage to the Mecca, that physically and financially capable Muslims are expected to carry out at least once in their lifetime.