THERE have been no reports yet of Filipinos affected by the stampede that killed at least 453 people in Saudi Arabia during the Hajj pilgrimage, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Thursday.
Citing reports from the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh, Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said, “There are so far no reports of Filipinos involved in the stampede.”
Yet, he assured that the embassy is “still confirming with all the Hajj groups.”
Around 453 people were believed to have been killed, while 700 were injured during a stampede at Mina, between Mount Arafat and Mecca’s Grand Mosque, officials in Saudi Arabia said.
The stampede happened during the last major rite of the Hajj, an annual Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca, and a mandatory duty for Muslims that must be carried out at least once in their lifetime.
Earlier this month, a crane collapsed at Mecca’s Grand Mosque, which killed 109 people and injured 400 others.