No ‘reprieve’ granted to Laguna governor – Comelec

0

Commission on Elections (Comelec) spokesperson James Jimenez denied on Friday the poll body granted Gov. Emilio Ramon Ejercito of Laguna a reprieve in connection with the local official’s disqualification case pending before it.

Advertisements

Jimenez said the Comeleccould not have granted Ejercito a reprieve because the poll body has not issued any “suspension order” for alleged campaign over-spending against the Laguna governor.

He added that the Comelec was yet to decide on a motion for reconsideration filed by Ejercito about seven months ago.

“The Comelec did not issue any ‘suspension order’ against Gov. Ejercito. His motion for reconsideration of his disqualification is still pending [with us],” Jimenez said.

In September last year, the Comelec’s First Division ordered the disqualification of

Ejercito for the alleged overspending in the May 13 mid-term polls.

As a local candidate, he is only allowed to spend a total of P4.5 million for his entire campaign since a candidate may only spend P3 for every voter.

Based on records, the province of Laguna has only 1,525,522 registered voters.

Ejercito was found to have spent over P6 million in television advertisement alone, the Comelec said.

Meanwhile, Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. said the Laguna governor can still “enjoy and relax” because the poll body is yet to decide on the disqualification case.

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.