JANET Lim Napoles will surely miss her luxurious mansions when she is finally moved to Fort Santo Domingo in Sta. Rosa, Laguna.
The house that she will occupy has only two rooms and the barest amenities. There is no television set or air conditioning system. The only appliances that had been allowed are a refrigerator where Napoles can put her medicines, and an electric fan to keep her cool on hot days. She also cannot listen to the radio because it is banned.
The businesswoman is also not allowed to use a cellphone, laptop or any other gadget.
Interior and Local Government Secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas and Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Alan Purisima on Saturday inspected the Laguna facility where Napoles will be detained.
However, Roxas said that the alleged mastermind of the “pork” scam will not be moved yet to Fort Santo Domingo because the facility is still being prepared.
Roxas said that they had to place metal bars in the windows of the bungalow that Napoles will occupy. CCTV cameras will also be installed.
PNP Public Information chief, Senior Supt. Reuben Theodore Sindac said that Secretary Roxas and the chief made a visit of the area to ensure that Napoles will be safe and secure during her stay at the police facility.
Napoles will be allowed to accept visitors but only family members, her lawyer and doctors will be allowed. Visiting hours will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Visitors will also not be allowed to bring in their cellphones, laptops or gadgets, Roxas said.
Because of the supposed threat on Napoles, the police will deploy additional men to guard her.
“It’s better to be sure. She should stay alive regardless of whether she provides us with information about what she knows or not,” the DILG chief told reporters.
Roxas and police officials did not say when Napoles, who remains at the Makati City Jail, will be transferred.
“We need to ensure that the place is adequately secure and adequately prepared so all in likehood there won’t be a transfer tonight,” PNP Public Information chief Senior Supt. Reuben Theodore Sindac said.
Malacanang said the intensified security measures for Napoles do not constitute special treatment.
Deputy presidential spokesman Abigail Valte said that the government has to make sure that Napoles will face trial and that justice will be served.
“For us to attain justice, the process should start going. The serious illegal detention charges won’t prosper if we don’t have her [Napoles] in custody. Even if we have whistleblowers and witnesses, if we don’t have the accused, the case would gather dust,” Valte said in a radio interview.
Valte added that President Benigno Aquino 3rd is unlikely to change his stance of earmarking funds for projects of lawmakers in their districts despite a second anti-pork rally to be held at EDSA on Sept. 11.
“The details of the new system [for pork spending]that will aid the countryside, municipalities and districts are still being discussed. These funds are alloted for a purpose and subject to COA audit. I haven’t talked with the President yet about September 11, but everybody is free to join such actions,” Valte said.
She added that the police will be ready to provide security for the September 11 gathering.
“We assure our public that the vehicles plying our roads won’t be stalled and the area will be secure,” Valte said.