SEOUL: North Korea on Tuesday warned the United States (US) of a “horrible disaster” and put its troops on alert over a massive joint naval drill involving a nuclear-powered US aircraft carrier alongside South Korean and Japanese vessels.
The warning came after Seoul and Washington last week signed a new joint strategy to counter the growing threat of a North Korean nuclear attack after the communist country restarted an ageing plutonium reactor.
That accord also drew a sharp rebuke, with analysts attributing the isolated regime’s recent bellicose rhetoric to its desire to arouse the United States’ attention and draw it back into long-stalled talks.
The naval drill in waters around the Korean peninsula, which is expected to begin on Tuesday, involves South Korea, Japan and the United States, which has deployed the nuclear-powered carrier USS George Washington.
North Korean troops had been ordered to “keep themselves fully ready to promptly launch operations any time,” a spokesman for the General Staff of the Korean People’s Army said, in a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency.
North Korea said the situation on the peninsula was “getting strained again” and warned the US that the closer its forces came “the more unpredictable disasters their actions will cause.”
“The US will be wholly accountable for the unexpected horrible disaster to be met by its imperialist aggression forces,” the statement said.
“The US should bear in mind that the Korean people and army are highly alert to promptly and confidently cope with and foil blatant provocations of any hostile forces in the world with its own powerful military muscle.”