A number of candidates running for various local positions in Northern Mindanao may face disqualification after they appear to have started campaigning, according to the Commission of Elections (Comelec).
Comelec chairman Andres Bautista on Friday revealed that he already ordered officials of the poll body in the provinces to find out the participation of the local politicians and their supporters in putting up campaign materials in many areas.
Bautista however refused to disclose the politicians’ names whose campaign materials were seen illegally posted or placed in different places not officially assigned by the Comelec.
Bautista said the release or posting of campaign materials by local candidates long before the start of the actual campaign of the local elections is a clear and deliberate violations of the Fair Election Act.
The official campaign period for local elections starts on March 29.
Bautista’s order came after campaign materials were sighted in different forms and styles when he attended the first leg of the presidential debates in Cagayan de Oro city last week.
He said law enforcement agencies, including the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA), are helping out in clearing various sites from illegally posted campaign materials.