MORE Filipinos have experienced hunger in the past three months, according to a Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey, which showed that the number of people who went hungry increased by to one million.
The survey, which was conducted from June 28 to 30 and first published at BusinessWorld on Thursday, showed that 22.7 percent of Filipino families went hungry in the past three months compared to 19.2 percent recorded in the first three months of the year.
A survey in March showed that 3.9 million Filipino respondents were hungry, but that number rose to a million in just three months.
The result showed that 4.9 million families are part of the “food-poor” population from March until June, almost reaching the highest recorded hunger experience last year which was 23.8 percent.
The survey said that even as the “self-rated poor proportion” decreased in the period of March and June, hunger incidence increased sharply among the poor.
The SWS report published on August 7 showed that more families considered themselves “food poor.”
Self-rated poor decreased from 52 percent to 49 percent in the second quarter of the year, while the “food-poor” population rose from 39 percent to 40 percent.
The survey said that hunger was higher among the ‘non-poor or on the borderline poor,’ with 12.6 percent currently from 12.2 percent in the first quarter, while the ‘poor’ household hunger rose from 25.5 percent to 33.4 percent.
Families who experienced “moderate hunger” nationwide, with absolutely no food only once or a few times, had risen from 15.6 percent or 3.2 million in the first quarter to the current 17.3 percent or 3.7 million.
The SWS survey with 1,200 respondents nationwide found that overall hunger in the country increased except in Mindanao, from 29.2 percent or 1.4 million families hungry in the first quarter to the current 17 percent or 834,000 families who are without food.
Moderate hunger in Luzon rose from 12 percent to 18.3 percent; the same had increased in Visayas with 18.3 percent from 13.7 percent. In Metro Manila, there was an increase from 17.3 percent to 18 percent this June.
Severe hunger also rose from 4.3 percent to 5.7 percent in Metro Manila.
It also increased in Luzon with 7.7 percent from 2.7 percent, and 2.7 percent from 1.3 percent in Visayas.
Reacting to the survey, Malacañang said the Aquino government remains committed to improving the lives of all Filipinos, especially the poor.
Palace spokesman Edwin Lacierda said one of the continuing thrusts of the government is the expansion of the conditional cash transfer (CCT) program, which presently benefits 3.9 million families.