A SIXTY-ONE year old man was found dead with a gunshot wound in a remote village in Davao City on Sunday morning, the first day of the nationwide Commission on Elections (Comelec)-imposed gun ban.
The killing in Davao is the first to be reported in the region as the imposition of the gun ban took effect, with at least three persons arrested in Cotabato and Caraga region.
Reports reaching Camp Crame said Mario Arroyo’s body was found at about 2 a.m. in his farm in Brgy. Tawan-Tawan in Baguio District. Witnesses said three successive gunshots were heard and three unidentified men were seen running away from the crime scene prior to the discovery of his body.
Investigators are looking into revenge as the possible motive behind the killing Arroyo.
It was learned that Arroyo was previously accused of killing someone, but the victim’s family opted not to press charges.
Meanwhile, in North Cotabato and Butuan City three persons, including an 18-year-old boy, were arrested during the first few hours of the implementation of the total election gun ban.
Police operatives in Kidapawan City arrested Dan Monterverde Pounes, 18, of Barangay Bagumbayan, Tulunan, North Cotabato on Sunday night for carrying an unlicensed firearm.
Pounes was stopped at a checkpoint along a highway in Kidapawan with a .45 cal. pistol with five bullets tucked in his waist.
Similarly, CARAGA region police spokesman, Supt. Danilo Puesca said Julius Ensencio Labor, 39, and Dondon Plaza Delos Reyes, 35, both resident of Talacogon, Agusan Del Sur were arrested at about 2 a.m., on Sunday at a checkpoint at Brgy. Villa Kananga in Butuan City.
They were found to have firearms, deadly weapons and ammunition contained in a sling bag hanging at the back of the front passenger’s seat of their vehicle.
All arrested suspects are facing charges for violation R.A 10591 or the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Act, as well as the Comelec gun ban law.