A power cooperative in Occidental Mindoro on Friday warned of massive outages next year if a government agency does not certify a supply deal.
The Occidental Mindoro Electric Cooperative (OMECO) said the lack of power might affect next year’s elections as the National Electrification Administration (NEA) has yet to approve a power supply agreement (PSA).
“On behalf of our member consumers, we are asking NEA to hear our request to approve the guarantee,” OMECO director Rodolfo Plopinio said.
“This coming holiday season, Occidental Mindoro might still experience brownouts,” Plopinio added.
He noted that the cooperative had agreed to all of the NEA’s conditions and submitted all documentary requirements ever since the PSA was signed in February last year.
The NEA, which is mandated to implement the government’s Rural Electrification Program, was not immediately available for comment.
Plopino also claimed that their consumers had expressed fears that a power lact could be used to manipulate the outcome of the 2016 elections.
San Jose in Occidental Mindoro was once dubbed the “Blackout Capital of the Philippines” due to power outages that lasted between six to twelve hours a day.
The entire province has endured power outages over the past few years due to inadequate supply, coupled with its disconnection from the main grid.
Last year, the Energy Regulatory Commission approved a 25-year PSA between OMECO and Emerging Power Inc.
The National Power Corporation also recently signed a Universal Charge for Missionary Electrification (UCME) subsidy for OMECO.