• Ormoc driver succumbs to meningococcemia

    0

    ORMOC CITY: The City Health Department began to look into a possible outbreak of a killer disease following the death of a 30-year-old male driver who succumbed to meningococcemia at a local hospital here on Wednesday.

    This was revealed in an interview with Elsie Jaca, the sentinel nurse of the local health department on Friday.

    Jaca said that the driver, who lives in one of the barangays here, was brought to a local hospital at about 5 p.m. on Tuesday after suffering from high fever. The victim, a cane truck driver during sugarcane harvest season and a passenger multi-cab driver during off-season succumbed at about 2:30 a.m. on Wednesday. He was immediately buried on the same day.

    Jaca said that besides the epidemiological investigation they also provided prophylaxis medicine to all close contacts and those who were exposed to the victim.

    She added that, they also informed the family and their neighbors what to do in case anybody suffers the same symptoms the victim had. She said that the public has nothing to worry about the situation because the city health department has done their part in providing all precautionary measures so the virus would not spread.

    Jaca added that only those who were in direct contact with the fatality are at risk of the disease. She added that those that were given the prophylaxis medicine have nothing to worry because they are already protected.

    Besides the victim’s family the local health office also provided medicines to the hospital staff that had direct contact with the victim from his admission up to the time of his death.

    Jaca said that it was the first meningococcemia death here. Last year one person was also reported to be afflicted with the virus. The local City Health Department is conducting an awareness campaign about meningococcemia in the city’s barangays.

    Roberto C. Dejon

    Share.