BAGUIO CITY: The Guardians Reform Advocacy for Cooperation and Economic Prosperity, Inc. has offered a P1 million reward to whoever can provide information that will lead to the arrest of the suspect in the murder of Chinese-Filipino businessman Henry Lao who was brutally killed in his house on December 1, 2015.
GRACE-Guardian national chairman Police Director Isagani Nerez, said the bounty was chipped-in by the 40,000 members and supporters of the group for the immediate resolution of the case.
Nerez said it has been three months since the brutal incident but police have yet to identify the killer. “This reward is a means to help convince the people who have knowledge to come out and help the police so that justice may be served on the family of the victim,” he added.
GRACE-Guardian is a group whose primary goal is to help attain peace and order and development in the country.
Nerez previously served here as City Director and regional director of the Police Regional Office-Cordillera. He is now the head of the PNP Directorate for Intelligence and Police Operations (DIPO) in Eastern Mindanao.
“I am concerned for the city. I am also from here. We decided to donate for the resolution of the case, rather than use the money for politics, which will not help the case or our group. I also personally know the victim who has contributed much to Baguio’s economy,” said Nerez.
He bewailed that Lao’s brutal murder will end up just a statistic and will be eventually forgotten if nothing is done to help bring the perpetrators to justice.
Lao, 68, was the owner of Tionsan Bazar, Enrico Hotel, and a trucking service. His body was discovered in the morning of Dec. 1 in his residence in Barangay Ferdinand, with 34 stab wounds. Lao lives alone in his house.
Santiago Regidon, GRACE Guardians Baguio-Benguet chapter president, said the group also donated P100,000 for the identification of the suspect in the Kayang Massacre where accused Philip Avino was recently found guilty of five counts of murder. The group also offered P200,000 reward for the solution on the killing of Manila Bulletin Abra correspondent Jacinto Turqueza in October 2014.
The Manila Times tried to get word from the Lao’s family but they refused to issue any statement except saying they want justice for their brother.