Manny Pacquiao extended his promotional deal with Top Rank chief executive Bob Arum through the end of 2016; likely scuttling any chance he will fight unbeaten US rival Floyd Mayweather.
Fans have long sought a showdown between Filipino southpaw Pacquiao, 56-5 with two draws and 38 knockouts, and Mayweather, 46-0 with 26 knockouts.
“We already did the signing last Monday and that’s the best offer we received,” Pacquiao’s long time adviser Mike Koncz told The Manila Times in a phone interview. “In his [Manny] situation now, I think that’s the best available contract.” Koncz did not divulge the details of the new contract.
“After that contract ends in 2016, then let’s see what’s best for Manny,” Koncz added. “My job right now is go to Macau on May 31, and negotiate there Manny’s next fight this year with the Top Rank Promotion. Manny is happy in the new deal.”
“We are pleased that together with our partners at HBO we will continue presenting to the public fights of the great Manny Pacquiao through the end of 2016,” Top Rank boss Bob Arum said.
“The partnership among Man–ny, Top Rank, MP Promotions and HBO has been a wonderful one for all parties and for the public and it’s great that is will continue for the years to come.”
Mayweather, 37, has vowed never to fight Pacquiao while he is promoted by Arum and the new deal carries Pacquiao, 35, to the point where he has indicated he would likely conclude his career. Mayweather and Pacquiao missed a chance to make a fight in 2010 due to issues over pre-fight blood testing.
Pacquiao reclaimed the World Boxing Organization welterweight crown last month by avenging an earlier controversial loss and defeating previously unbeaten Tim Bradley.
Mexico’s Juan Manuel Mar–quez, who has a win and a draw in four fights with Pacquiao, made himself the mandatory next opponent for “PacMan” with a victory on Saturday over Mike Alvarado.
Marquez, 56-7 with one draw and 40 knockouts, said after his victory he would not make an immediate decision on whether he would chase the title and fight Pacquiao again.
However, taking the title from the Filipino icon would make 40-year-old Marquez the first Mexican fighter to win world titles in five weight classes and he said that his decision would be “good for the Mexican fans.”
AFP WITH REPORT FROM JOSEF T. RAMOS