THE camp of Manny Pacquiao said that Juan Manuel Marquez’s demand to be paid $20 million to fight the Filipino ring icon for the fifth time is unreasonable.
“If you will ask me if I’m going to bite that [Marquez’s $20 million demand], I will simply say no,” Pacquiao’s long time business manager Eric Pineda told The Manila Times on Tuesday in a phone interview. “Everybody knew during that fight two years ago that it was Manny who was winning until Marquez threw a lucky punch.”
Boxing website thesweetscience.com reported that Pacquiao’s coach Freddie Roach stated that the reasonable amount that Marquez should receive for the fight is $10 million only.
“It’s natural for Marquez to ask for a bigger pay this time because he won the last time via knockout, but I doubt Top Rank will agree to that,” added Pineda.
Top Rank Promotion head Bob Arum said that he hasn’t talked yet with Marquez regarding the fight purse split.
Pacquiao’s long time adviser Mike Koncz, who is currently in Los Angeles, California stated earlier that while Marquez is not among the top candidates for Pacquiao’s next opponent on November, the two rivals meeting for a fifth time remains a possibility.