A day after Juan Manuel Marquez’s trainer Nacho Beristain announced that he’s not interested to see a fifth fight between Manny Pacquiao and his ward, Pacquiao’s adviser Mike Koncz said that it’s no big deal if the Mexican pug refused another bout with the former pound-for-pound king.
Koncz, who negotiates for Pacquiao’s opponents through the years, believes that there are more choices better than Marquez (56-7-1 win-loss-draw record with 40 knockouts).
“One way or the other, Marquez is not a big deal in Manny’s next fight,” Koncz told The Manila Times in a phone interview on Friday. “If ever he refuses, there’s no problem. I’m confident there are other worthy opponents available.”
Koncz will fly to Macau, China on May 31, to discuss with Top Rank Promotion who will be the next opponent of the 35-year-old Pacquiao (56-5-2 record with 38 knockouts).
Pacquiao recaptured the World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title from Timothy Bradley on April 12 via unanimous decision.
Marquez, who knocked out Pacquiao cold in the sixth round of their fourth fight in Las Vegas in 2012 emerged as a challenger for Pacquiao’s WBO belt after scoring a lopsided win over Mike Alvarado last week.
But Marquez’s trainer Beristain advised Marquez against a fifth fight with Pacquiao.
“I do not care who is angry, but I will do everything possible to prevent Juan Manuel Marquez from stepping in the ring with Pacquiao for a fifth time,” Beristain told Salvador Rodriguez of boxing website boxingscene.com on Wednesday.
“If it were up to me, he would not do a fifth fight,” he added. “He has nothing to prove, people will remember him for what he has done in his career, for giving the people big fights, for having faced the best of his time.”
If ever Marquez declined a fifth fight with Pacquiao, the remaining possible opponents for the Filipino ring icon are Russian Rocky Ruslan Provodnikov, British Amir Khan and Mexican Saul Canelo Alvarez.