Manny Pacquiao will be getting a smaller paycheck in his rematch against reigning World Boxing Organization welterweight champion Timothy Bradley on April 12 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas USA.
But the reduced purse does not bother the Filipino champ, according to his business partner Gerry Peñalosa.
Peñalosa said Pacquiao is well aware that his popularity has gone down after suffering back-to-back setbacks including the sixth round knockout loss to Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez.
“Manny knows that his stocks went down after losing to Marquez via knockout but I’m pretty sure he will get a chance to get what he lost,” Peñalosa told The Manila Times on Tuesday.
“It’s also less dangerous for Manny to have a rematch with Bradley because this will be an easy fight,” he added.
Based on the agreement signed recently by Pacquiao (55-5-2 win-loss-draw slate with 38 knockouts) and Bradley (31-0 card with 12 knockouts), the former will receive a guaranteed $20 million while the latter will get $6 million in their rematch.
In their first match in June 2012, the 35-year-old Pacquiao got a guaranteed $26 million while Bradley received $5 million.
“I think Manny is not concerned about the money but for revenge,” added Peñalosa, also Pacquiao’s promotional partner in the Philippines. “He really wanted to get his belt back and I think that’s very possible to happen.”
Pacquiao lost to Bradley via controversial split decision before losing to Marquez in December 2012 via technical knockout in the sixth round.
Bradley said he is very satisfied with his fight purse.
“They gave me everything I asked for,” Bradley told Ring Magazine’s reporter Lem Satterfield. “I’m not going to get this kind of a deal anywhere else. I’m satisfied and ready to move forward with my career and to fight Manny Pacquiao again.”
Bradley defeated Ruslan Provodnikov via unanimous decision and Juan Manuel Marquez via split decision both last year that increased his stocks.
Pacquiao, on the other hand, came out of a one-year hiatus to beat Brandon Rios via unanimous decision last November in Macau, China.