Malacañang on Thursday warned those behind the demolition job against President Benigno Aquino 3rd.
The Manila Times had earlier hinted that Aquino’s so-called “friends” could be behind the demolition job against him. The alleged extortion attempt by his sister Ballsy Aquino and her group is a case in point.
But, Palace spokesman Edwin Lacierda defended President Aquino, stressing that the country’s Chief Executive “knows what he does.”
”The President should watch out from his friends? The President need not be told,” Lacierda said. “So, as to the author of this demolition job, I have no names, but I think it’s not working, and I think he better stop it.”
The Palace official cited the improvement in the President’s trust and approval ratings shows how the public continues to trust the administration.
He noted that it is an affirmation that the people’s faith in Aquino’s leadership has not wavered and has in fact become stronger.
”We have seen so many times over the three-year period the various attacks against the President and, in spite of all these attacks against the President, the President’s approval ratings have remained at a record high,” he said.
”It shows that the people believe in the integrity of the President and, as long as the President continues in his path of ‘daang matuwid’, no amount of criticism, unfounded criticism, or demolition job against him will stick,” Lacierda added.
Meanwhile, the Palace official insisted that Aquino’s sisters ”have never involved themselves in any government affairs.”
”The only time that you will be seeing them is when there is an event here in Malacañan Palace and that’s very rare,” he said. “I can only think of two or three times, or four times lang, na nandito sila in the whole three years that their brother has assumed the presidency.”
Lacierda cited The Times publisher who wrote a column, stating “precisely that the sister, the presidential sister, will not besmirch the legacy of the parents—of the legacy handed down by their parents.”
”It is really malicious of people to impute involvement on the sister when we know for a fact that they carry the legacy of the names of their parents,” he said
”It’s a very precious legacy that they have been holding. They are the bearers of this legacy and they will not, in any way, shape, or form malign or demean this legacy,” he added.
Reports earlier revealed that the group of Aquino-Cruz was allegedly involved in an extortion attempt against a Czech company that is supposedly among the bidders for the new coaches of the Metro Rail Transit.
According to a source, some officials from the Czech firm Inekon Company refused to give an “advance” payment to the group of Aquino-Cruz, former Transportation Secretary Pete Prado and Engr. Steve Psinakis, husband of Precy Lopez, sister of the late Eugenio “Geny” Lopez Sr.
The alleged asking money amounts to between $2 million to $20 million, in order for the Inekon Company to get the assurance that the project will be awarded to them.
Officials from the Inekon Co. were surprised with the group’s proposal. The group even went to the Czech Republic to discuss the deal with them.
Based on the records of the DOTC, the Inekon Company is one of the bidders in purchasing of additional new trains for the MRT 3 and Transportation Secretary Jun Abaya said that they are indeed buying new trains in Czech Republic instead of the second hand ones being offered in Spain.