Amid reports of Malacañang’s “distrust” at the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), a Palace official clarified on Monday that the problem with the office is not institutional but some individuals who are “less trustworthy.”
Palace Spokesman Edwin Lacierda said in a press briefing that President Benigno Aquino 3rd shares his trust with NBI Director Nonnatus Rojas, who irrevocably resigned on Monday following reports of distrust at the agency.
“The problem is not with the institution. There are just few people, in their words, that are less trustworthy,” he said.
Rojas has headed investigations of many recent high-profile cases such as the Atimonan shootout where 13 men were killed; the Balintang channel incident involving the death of the Taiwanese fisherman; and the P10-billion pork barrel scam.
Justice Secretary Leila de Lima recommends to the Malacañang to reject his resignation.
“Yes. If you recall, a number of investigations, a number of reports have been initiated under his watch,” Lacierda said. “Director Nonie Rojas has done a lot in the agency. That is why I think Secretary Leila de Lima has recommended rejecting his resignation.”
The spokesperson also added that the Palace has not yet acted on Rojas’ resignation and the latter still acts on his duties, particularly the case that will be filed against to those who are involved in the pork barrel scam.
In an interview with the Philippine Daily Inquirer last week, President Aquino 3rd said that there are two NBI officials that tipped off Janet Lim-Napoles, the businesswoman at the center of the pork barrel scam, that there will be an arrest warrant that will be issued against her for illegally detaining the case’s whistleblower, Benhur Luy.
According to the report, these officials have close ties with senators involved in the pork barrel scam. Raps are soon to be filed against these officials whose names are still withheld by the Palace. JHOANA BALLARAN