MALACAÑANG on Sunday said that there is no “shoot-to-kill” order against Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) leader Nur Misuari, who has been in hiding since the Zamboanga City siege last month that left 140 people dead.
“We do not certainly abide by [the]shoot onsite or shoot-to-kill order,” Palace deputy spokesman Abigail Valte said in an interview aired over state-run Radyo ng Bayan
The officials on the ground, especially the Philippine National Police (PNP), will be making the announcement based on their assessment, she said.
Misuari was accused of staging the attack on Zamboanga City that lasted for 20 days over his opposition to the peace agreement between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front.
Government security forces have been tracking his location in coordination with the local government.
Asked if the government will ask the help of neighbors like Malaysia to help hunt Misuari who may have left the country, Valte said that the matter has not been discussed.
Valte also said that officials on the ground had ordered the deployment of troops in all possible escape routes of Misuari.
Meanwhile, a top commander of the MNLF who was arrested for intrusion in Sabah, Malaysia is now under investigation by Malaysian authorities for his possible links to Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram 3rd.
Assistant Commissioner Omar Mammah of the Sabah Crime Investigation Department said they are now investigating the 43-year-old Filipino, reportedly a battalion commander of the MNLF.
According to Malaysian newspaper, Daily Express, the Filipino suspect, who was not identified, was jailed after being sentenced to an 18-month imprisonment on September 9 by a Malaysian court for encroaching on Silabukan Forest Reserve in Merabung, Tungku.
The intrusion led to a series of deadly clashes with the Malaysian security forces that led to the death of 68 Filipino insurgents and 10 Malaysian policemen and soldiers.
Malaysian authorities confirmed that the suspect was an MNLF Commander after they found an identification card in his huts, which were ordered demolished.
Police had opened a case file to determine if the Filipino was a member of the terrorist group under Section 130KA of the Penal Code, which is read with the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012, Mammah added.
But Sultanate of Sulu spokesman Abraham Idjirani said they have no information about the detained MNLF commander.