Malacañang on Sunday warned that “collection cases” will be filed against former and current officials of the Office of the President (OP) who will ignore demands for them to liquidate cash advances amounting to P437 million.
Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said demand letters had been sent to concerned officials, and many had responded and complied with the requirements of liquidation.
He added that some of the cases had been written off because the persons involved had died.
While the bulk of the amount was from the past administration, Coloma said Malacañang under President Benigno Aquino 3rd will work to liquidate the full amount.
Coloma clarified that of the total amount, the OP under Aquino is accountable only for about P11.3 million.
Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago had revealed the OP’s failure to liquidate cash advances based on a report of the Commission on Audit (COA).
Santiago, who filed a resolution, said it is imperative for Congress, “on which the power of the purse rests, to ensure that public funds are judiciously used for their intended purpose.”
Based on the COA report, P8.045 million of the total unliquidated amount represented advances given to officers and employees. Out of the P437 million, P425.6 million was supposedly racked up during the Arroyo administration.