• Palace vows to cooperate with planned
    Senate probe on Marcos reinstatement


    MALACANANG has vowed that the executive branch will cooperate in Senate investigation on the decision of President Rodrigo Duterte to reinstate the police officer who led the team implicated in the death of Albuera Mayor Rolando Espinosa Sr. and another inmate in a Leyte jail last year.

    “The government, through the PNP [Philippine National Police], will cooperate with any investigations,” Palace spokesman Ernesto Abella said during a press conference.

    “We have always participated in any hearings and we will continue to abide by that,” he added.

    Abella issued the statement after Sen. Panfilo Lacson, head of the Senate panel on public order which launched an investigation into the death of Espinosa and inmate Raul Yap during a raid of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group Region 8 (CIDG 8), vowed to investigate Duterte’s order to reinstate Marcos and other policemen involved in the incident.

    “It is not even a reinstatement. Rather, it was back-to-duty status after serving his four-month suspension order incorporated in a ‘slap-on-the-wrist’ administrative penalty,” said Lacson, a former PNP chief.

    But Abella defended Duterte’s order to reinstate Marcos, saying the latter can go back to active duty because he has already served his suspension.

    “The reinstatement of the Superintendent is basically in compliance with the fact that he was suspended and that the suspension has been served. And he’s now, he’s eligible back to duty,” he said.

    “In other words, he’s abiding by the rule of law,” the Palace official added.

    On Wednesday, Duterte announced at the anniversary of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology that he had ordered the reinstatement of Marcos after the cop served his suspension order.

    The President also said he would pardon Marcos if the police officer would be convicted in connection with the Espinosa case.

    Marcos and his men at the CIDG-8 were able to walk out of detention last month, after the criminal charges against them were downgraded from murder to homicide, a bailable case.

    Espinosa and Yap died after allegedly putting up a fight against policemen serving search warrants inside the Leyte Sub-Provincial Jail in Baybay City on November 5.


    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Comments are closed.