Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales has found ground to file two counts of kidnapping and serious illegal detention against retired Major General Jovito Palparan Jr. and eight others at the Sandiganbayan.
The case stemmed from the abduction of brothers Raymond and Reynaldo Manalo in San Ildefonso, Bulacan in 2006.
In a 28-page Joint Resolution, the Office of the Ombudsman said the Manalo brothers positively identified the perpetrators whose “concerted acts show that they agreed, expressly or impliedly, to commit the felony and forthwith decided to pursue it.”
Raymond said they were kidnapped on February 14, 2006 for being suspected as members of the New People’s Army (NPA). They were detained and tortured until they escaped on August 13, 2007.
Also named respondents were T/Msgt. Rizal Hilario, Civilian Armed Forces Geographical Unit Auxiliaries (CAAs) Michael Dela Cruz, Marcelo Dela Cruz, Jose Dela Cruz, Maximo Dela Cruz, Randy Mendoza, Roman Dela Cruz and Rudy Mendoza, who were also found liable for grave misconduct along with M/Sgt. Donald Caigas.
However, the office threw out the administrative charges against Palparan, former Armed Forces chief Hermogenes Esperon Jr., M/Gen. Juanito Gomez because they have retired from service before the case was filed.
Palparan, the commander of the 7th Infantry Division in Central Luzon, is called the “butcher” by militant groups who suspect him of being behind human rights violations perpetrated by security forces, including extrajudicial killings and disappearances.
Palparan was linked to the abduction and disappearance of Jonas Burgos on April 28, 2007 in Quezon City.
He went into hiding in 2011 when he was ordered arrested in connection with the kidnapping of University of the Philippines students Sherlyn Cadapan and Karen Empeno in June 2006.
The former military general was captured by National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) operatives in August last year in a slum area in Sta. Mesa, Manila, and is detained at the Philippine Army Custodial Center (PACC) in Metro Manila.