The prospective bidders for the P17.5-billion Mactan Cebu International Airport (MCIA) has requested the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) for two more months to submit their proposals.
“Bids and Awards Committee [BAC] will consider the proposal to push back the timetable,” said DOTC Undersecretary Jose Perpetuo Lotilla.
Representatives of MPIC-JGS Airport Consortium and AAA Airport Partners requested another 45 days to 60 days before they submit their technical and financial bids for the MCIA project.
Other potential bidders are Filinvest-CAI Consortium, First Philippine Airports, Premier Airport Group, GMR Infrastructure and Megawide Consortium, and San Miguel and
“We will see if it is necessary to adjust the timeline. We want to make sure that if we set a schedule, it would be a go. We are allergic to the postponements,” Lotilla said.
The DOTC’s timeline for the submission and opening of the technical bids should be done by August 28, while the opening of the financial proposals still has no schedule.
The department plans to issue the notice of award on October 15, and sign the concession agreement on November 18.
This P17.5-billion project involves the construction of a new world-class international passenger terminal building at the MCIA, with a capacity of about 8 million passengers per year; renovation and expansion of the existing terminal; installation of all the required equipment and the operation of both new and existing facilities.
After the new international terminal building is completed, the existing terminal, which currently caters to both domestic and international passengers, will be converted into an exclusively domestic passenger terminal.
The Mactan-Cebu International Airport is the second-largest and busiest aviation facility in the country.
Last year, the DOTC published its bidding instructions on the Mactan-Cebu airport project under the public-private partnership scheme of the government.
Rosalie C. Periabras