• Party-list winners proclaimed this week

    0

    The Commission on Elections (Comelec) chief assured the public on Tuesday that the proclamation of the winning party-lists is set this week.

    Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. even said that the poll body, sitting as the National Board of Canvassers (NBoC), might announce winners as early as today (Wednesday).

    “It’s possible tomorrow, Thursday, or Friday at most,” the poll chief told the reports.

    Earlier, Brillantes said that the proclamation of winning party-lists organization would come in two batches.

    He explained that they would proceed with the declaration of the initial winning groups once they determined which organizations were able to meet the two percent quota.

    However, the Comelec head said the second batch will be revealed within 10 days.

    Brillantes also disclosed that they are looking to amend the rules on procedure to speed up the ongoing canvass of votes.

    A total of 58 party-list seats will have to be filled up by the Comelec as the Republic Act 7941, or the Party-List System Act, provides that party-list groups must occupy 20 percent of seats at the House of Representatives.

    In determining the allocation of seats, the commission is set to use the guidelines set by the Supreme Court (SC) in its 2009 ruling on the Banat versus Comelec case.

    Under the formula to be used by the poll body, all groups that are able to meet the two percent quota from the total valid votes cast for the party-lists will be given one seat.

    As for the remaining seats, the total number of seats for party-lists will be subtracted from the number of winning organizations that have met the two percent and then multiplied to the percentage of votes a particular group has received. The factor would indicate how many additional seats that an organization could get.

    And if the quota has not been met, parties with less than two percent of total votes will get one seat until the 58 seats are filled up.

    However, Brillantes admitted that the NBoC are still discussing on what to do with votes of the 12 disqualified groups because they still have the option to appeal their cases to the Supreme Court (SC).

    “We are still discussing if we will include the votes of the 12 or not,” the poll official said.

    Last week, the National Board of Canvassers (NBoC) decided to suspend the canvass of party-list ballots because of perplexity on how to handle the votes for the disqualified organizations.

    Various questions were raised by the legal counsels of the party lists organizations that prompted the NBoC to postpone the canvassing.

    JOHANNA M. SAMPAN

    Share.