Interim World Boxing Association (WBA) light flyweight champion Randy “Razor” Petalcorin, one of the Philippines’ current three world boxing champions, is set to make his first title defense early 2015 in China against hometown bet Ma Yi Ming.
Petalcorin’s manager and promoter Jim Claude Mananquil said on Saturday that there were other title fight offers from Japan and South Africa to the 22-year-old General Santos native but he decided to pick the China fight.
“The title defense offer in China is good and fair. We just can’t let him [Petalcorin] fight and lose his title instantly in country like South Africa,” Mananquil told The Manila Times in a phone interview. “Randy is very young and we don’t want him to lose his world title.”
Petalcorin (22-1-1 win-loss-draw record with 17 knockouts) became the WBA light flyweight world champion in August 26 when he scored a technical knockout win in the seventh round against Walter Tello of Panama at the Mercedez Benz Arena in Shanghai.
“If ever he loses in his first title defense, it would be hard for him to comeback that’s why we are telling him to train hard. As for our part, we are doing our best to get the best offer for him to secure his future,” Mananquil added.
Yi Ming, 34, who lastly defeated Tommy Seran of Indonesia via unanimous decision in Shanghai on December 16, holds a 12-5 fight record with seven knockouts.
“He is in better shape and good condition. He already started his light training last week.”
The title defense will most likely happen sometimes in February or early March in Shanghai according to Mananquil.