THIS time, “it’s for real and not just a drama.”
Thus, declared Energy Secretary Carlos Jericho Petilla as he confirmed that he already quit his post and that his resignation will take effect on Thursday, April 30.
Citing “personal and family reasons,” Petilla, during his last news briefing as Energy chief on Wednesday, said he tendered his irrevocable resignation to President Benigno Aquino 3rd last March 26.
“I submitted my irrevocable resignation letter Thursday before the Holy Week, so that’s over a month ago. Effective April 30,” he added.
This was the second time that Petilla publicly announced his resignation.
He first tendered his resignation after failing to deliver on restoring power in all towns devastated by super Typhoon Yolanda by Christmas Eve of 2013.
His resignation, however, was rejected by Aquino.
Petilla said he still has to seek clarification or wait for further instruction from Malacañang as he still does not know whether his resignation was accepted by the President.
When asked about the timing of his resignation, he replied that he decided to leave the Cabinet only after he was assured that all concerns and problems of the department had been ironed out.
“Everything that is needed to be done has already been done. I will not leave DOE [Department of Energy] with a problem hanging, that is why I made sure that everything will be fine once I leave,” Petilla said, referring to efforts of the agency to address possible power shortage this summer.
Among these efforts are construction and maintenance of power plants, which were done on time; full support of private companies for the Interruptible Load Program (ILP); and cooperation of the public in the energy conservation programs of the agency.
“I need to acknowledge that our efforts came from the people’s mandate, their decisions greatly affected to the outcomes we are now enjoying,” Petilla said.
With his resignation, he recommended appointment of Energy Undersecretary Zenaida Monsada as DOE officer-in-charge.
Petilla expressed confidence that Monsada and other Energy officials are capable of running the department.
“I’m willing to extend if they ask me to but I need a legal basis. I’m not open to stay until October. It depends on what are the reasons why am I staying,” he said.
He denied reports that he is planning to run for political office under the opposition party United Nationalist Alliance headed by Vice President Jejomar Binay.