Veteran campaigners Benshir Layoso and Mades Arles are all set to compete in the prestigious 49th QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup scheduled on November 15 to 24 at the Sibiryak Bowling Center in Krasnoyarsk, Russia.
Layoso and Arles made it to the world meet after winning their respective Bowling World Cup national crowns. The 44-year-old Layoso defeated Raoul Miranda, 2-0 (225-211, 200-157), in the finals of the men’s division.
“To be in the World Cup and compete against the world’s best bowlers is already an achievement for me. It’s a dream come true and I’ll do my best to get better results,” said Layoso.
Arles, for her part, needed an extra game to score a 2-1 (225-179, 175-217, 248-199) win over 2012 winner Krizziah Tabora in the ladies’ finals.
“It’s going to be a tough one but we’ll take it one game at a time. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity being in the company of other national champions,” said Arles, a former Youth Masters titlist.
So far, the Philippines has five gold medals in the men’s division and two golds in the women’s class.
Hall of Famer Paeng Nepomuceno earned four titles in 1976, 1980, 1992 and 1996 before Christian Jan Suarez delivered the fifth crown in 2003. The last time the Philippines made a podium finish was in 2010 when Biboy Rivera wound up third overall.
Female keglers Lita dela Rosa and Bong Coo won back-to-back titles in 1978 and 1979 while Liza del Rosario almost claimed the third gold for the country when she settled for silver in the 2001 edition.