IN WAKE OF BRUSSELS ATTACKS

PH on high alert

0

THE government will maintain its high alert status in the wake of the terrorist attacks in Brussels where scores of people died last week.

Advertisements

Palace Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. on Easter Sunday said all concerned government agencies are on their toes to prevent the entry of any person or group that may be planning similar attacks.

“All agencies continue to cooperate to further improve existing security protocols in all points of entry into the country,” Coloma said in an interview over state-run Radyo ng Bayan.

On March 22, several people were killed when suicide bombers believed to be members of the Islamic State blew themselves up separately in an airport and a key railway station in the Belgian capital.

President Benigno Aquino 3rd spent the Holy Week monitoring events that may affect public welfare.

Since the latest terror attacks, including another bombing in Iraq, Philippine authorities have been on high alert especially during the Holy Week when Catholics trooped to their home provinces to reflect.

There are certain groups in the south that had pledged allegiance to the caliphate or the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

The attacks in Paris, France in November and the recent suicide bombings in Brussels were the handiwork of ISIS terrorists, authorities claimed.

“At all times, the government puts premium on the security and general welfare of our people, especially during their trip back to their homes after the holidays,” Coloma said.

“We maintain a high level of vigilance and preparedness to any contingencies or threats to national security,” he added.

The Palace official also said that security measures are in place in seaports, terminals and airports to foil terror attacks.

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

Comments are closed.