• PH to evacuate Filipinos in Libya

    0

    The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Sunday said the government will start the mandatory evacuation of Filipinos in Libya because of the “extremely unstable political and security situation there.”

    Advertisements

    Under alert level 4, the Philippine government will enforce the forced evacuation of about 13,000 Filipinos as soon as possible. No Filipino will also be allowed to travel to Libya.

    “Filipinos in Libya are enjoined to contact the Philippine Embassy in Tripoli for instructions regarding mass evacuation,” the DFA said.

    This was announced as Islamist militants attacked Libya’s international airport on Sunday. The attack caused extensive damage to airport infrastructure and planes that may disable the port for months.

    The Islamists are reportedly being reinforced by other militia from Libya’s third city of Misrata, a key battlefield of the NATO-backed uprising of 2011 that toppled and killed dictator Moamer Kadhafi.

    On Saturday, the government also ordered the mandatory evacuation of Filipinos in Gaza Strip because of the worsening security situation there.

    At least 20 people were killed in a big Israeli assault east of Gaza City on Sunday, hiking the overall Palestinian death toll to 370, medics said.

    As the bloodshed entered its 13th day, Israel confirmed another two soldiers had been killed on Saturday night, raising the Israeli toll to seven dead, five of them soldiers killed since the ground operation began late on Thursday.

    WITH AFP

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Comments are closed.