More than 2,000 families or over 3,000 individuals are set to leave Tacloban City for Cebu noontime on Thursday.
This, while relief and disaster operations are going on in places affected by super typhoon Yolanda Friday last week.
Lt. Sam Servano said that Philippine Navy ship BRP Dagupan City (LC551) will go back to Cebu City from here for replenishment of relief goods and decided to ferry for free Tacloban people who would like to temporarily leave this city, as passengers.
LC551 arrived in Tacloban City Saturday night, bringing thousands of bottled water and food items from Cebu.
Philippine Navy troops also undertook water retrieval operations in this typhoon-devastated city along with other troops of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).
Secretary Mar Roxas of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) said that a C130 plane of the Philippine Air Force and one of the US Air Force are also ready to bring people from this city to Cebu and Manila free of charge.
He added that the Philippine Coast Guard likewise expressed willingness to ferry passengers leaving Tacloban.
Roxas said the Agence France-Presse ships and plane will prioritize as passengers those who are injured and in need of medical assistance.
The DILG chief believed that target destinations Cebu and Manila are ready to accommodate people from this city.
He also assured that the full force of the government is ready to ensure the safety of typhoon victims who opt to stay in Tacloban. PNA