A total of 150 Filipinos in separate batches arrived in Manila late Saturday after they were evacuated from conflict-torn Yemen early last week, according to the Department of Foreign Affairs ( DFA).
In a statement, the department on Sunday said the 150 Filipinos returned to the country in two batches.
This group was the latest to be evacuated by the Crisis Management Team (CMT) out of Yemen and to Saudi Arabia for the flight to Manila.
Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario welcomed the Filipinos when they arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, where they were briefed by Administrator Hans Leo Cacdac of the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration and Administrator Rebecca Calzado of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration.
Del Rosario was also joined by other officials from the Foreign Affairs department—Undersecretary for Migrant Workers Affairs Jesus Yabes, Assistant Secretary Julius Torres, DFA spokesman Charles Jose and incoming Philippine Ambassador to Kuwait Renato Villa.
During a briefing, the DFA secretary dis-cussed the volatile security situation in Yemen and expressed his appreciation for the repatriates’ quick decision to return to the Philippines.
He reassured them that the Philippine government will give priority to provision of employment, placement and livelihood assistance for them through the Department of Labor and Employment.
Since April 5, the CMT has evacuated 464 Filipinos out of Yemen.
Of this number, 240 have been successfully repatriated to the Philippines.
The CMT is arranging return flights for the remaining 224 Filipinos in the war-torn country.
The department said it will continue repatriating the remaining 400 Filipinos from Yemen as long as the exit routes remain safe.
Crisis alert level 4 was raised in Yemen because of volatile political security there.
Alert level 4 is raised when there is large-scale internal conflict or full-blown external attack.
Under this alert level, the Philippine government undertakes mandatory evacuation procedures.