• PLDT to complete 8th data ceter in Q1 2016


    Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. (PLDT) Group expected to finish its almost P1 billion 8th data center in the first quarter of 2016, offering expanded cloud-based solutions and services under its PLDT Cloud at lower costs, a top official said on Thursday.

    PLDT Executive Vice President Eric Alberto said the facility have centralized expertise for large enterprises and small-and-medium-scale enterprises.

    “In Clark, we did ground breaking two weeks ago, and that’s going to be a 1,400 to 1,500 racks additional,” Alberto told reporters at the sidelines of PLDT SME Nation Tech Island 2.0.

    “So when we finish by first quarter of next year, and hopefully we finish in Makati by end of this year… Our total rack capacity would be over 8,000 racks, nearly fulfilling our aspiration to be a clear leader in the data center space in the country,” he said.

    PLDT wholly owned ICT subsidiary, ePLDT, is expanding its data center footprint with the construction of a P1-billion newest facility located in Makati. The newest VITRO Data Center with 18,000 square meters of floor space, the largest among data centers, will be completed by the fourth quarter of this year.

    VITRO Makati, which will deploy eight-layer security to safeguard customers’ critical equipment and data, will have data center-rated generators designed to run continuously to eliminate the need for periodic cut-over to gensets during long commercial power failures.

    PLDT said the operation of client servers at VITRO Makati even during lengthened power outages ensures continuous maintenance work.

    Connecting man-machine-information
    “The 8th data center will provide a diversity location for the enterprise market to offload IT requirements and for PLDT to hosts it” said Alberto, who is also ePLDT President and Chief Executive Officer.

    He said that many enterprises have a little knowledge about running a data center and they save money by offloading IT elements and co-locating and hosting outside their place of operation.

    He said if a major calamity strikes such as earthquake or super typhoon, enterprises are susceptible to losing data critical to their business.

    Alberto said the company has data centers in Subic, Cebu, RCBC in Makati, Fort Bonifacio, Paranaque and the one that will be completed in the fourth quarter of this year is also located in Makati.

    He said about 70 percent of enterprise market, including Metro Manila, is in Luzon while the remaining 30 percent is located in Visayas and Mindanao.

    “Digital is going to be exploded. Digital is about connecting man to machine and to information in a real time. Connecting man-machine-information requires digital facilities like a data center,” Alberto said.


    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Comments are closed.