THE country’s top policeman on Friday gave his assurance to Sen. Antonio Trillanes 4th that they will do everything to ensure the safety of confessed hit man Edgar Matobato, now under the custody of the Philippine National Police (PNP).
Matobato, who claimed to be part of the “Davao Death Squad” and accused President Rodrigo Duterte of ordering some 1,000 summary killings as mayor of Davao City, was accompanied by Trillanes to Camp Crame, the PNP headquarters.
The PNP chief, Director General Ronald “Bato” de la Rosa, said in a press briefing he even promised to provide Matobato his own bomb suit for protection.
De la Rosa and Matobato at some point spoke in the Visayan dialect, and the PNP chief later said: “He (Matobato) told me, ‘I’m satisfied that the senator brought me to you. Now I’m assured of safety because I’ve seen you.’”
Matobato was being booked at the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group in Camp Crame when de la Rosa showed up.
Matobato was turned over to the PNP chief by Trillanes who had been securing the self-confessed hit man since his testimony before the Senate Committee on Justice that had been investigating alleged extrajudicial killings in the country.
The PNP chief said he was grateful to Trillanes for the confidence he had given him in connection with Matobato’s surrender.
Trillanes thanked de la Rosa for assuring him of Matobato’s safety.
A Davao court earlier issued an arrest warrant against Matobato after he failed to show up at his scheduled arraignment last Tuesday. Matobato is facing a charge for illegal possession of firearms.
Matobato told reporters he was leaving his fate up to God.
“Ako, handa na ako. ‘Yung buhay ko, binigay ko na sa Diyos. At kung ano ang mangyari sa akin, wala na akong magagawa [I’m prepared. I have given my life to God. Whatever happens to me, I cannot do anything about it],” he told reporters.