Batangas: Police Task Group “Batang Angel” has confirmed one kidnapping case in Bauan town after an eyewitness stepped forward to provide information to the authorities Sunday evening.
Task Force head and Batangas police director Senior Supt. Omega Jireh Fidel said a witness, who requested anonymity, confirmed the kidnapping of 14-year old Robin Cabral in Bauan town last August 27.
Fidel said Cabral is one of the four children earlier reported missing after he was allegedly snatched by three unidentified suspects from a passenger jeepney and shoved inside a black van around 10 p.m. along the National Highway, Poblacion, Bauan town.
“So far si Cabral palang ang may witness nag confirm na kinidnap sya, yung tatlong bata ay considered missing parin dahil wala pa namang lumulutang na witness na sila nga ay dinukot [So far, only Cabral has an eyewitness who confirmed that he was kidnapped, the three other young people are still considered missing and there are no witnesses who saw that they too were kidnapped],” Fidel explained.
Fidel said they will release a composite sketch of the suspect based on the description of the witness.
The young people who are still missing are Jerome Claveria, 12, Mica Recto, 11, and Rumar Manalo, 11, all residents of San Pascual, Batangas.
Fidel added that the Task Force is still looking for the missing children.
In the latest advisory, aside from the confirmed kidnapping of Cabral and the missing three children in Bauan, all other alleged abduction cases in Batangas City, Lipa City , San Pascual, Taal and Lobo turned out to be a hoax upon verification of the police.
Meanwhile, the Batangas Police has increased its visibility in public areas, particularly in school zones, amid reports of child abduction in the province.
Last Friday, parents rushed to the Batangas National High School to pick up their children after text messages circulated that another child was abducted.
The text, apparently, turned out to be a hoax when one of the student admitted in his statement that he just texted his friend with a joke that he was being kidnapped.
Batangas Governor Vilma Santos Recto, in a press conference last Friday, appealed to the public not to panic and for parents to be vigilant in monitoring their children.
Lipa Archbishop Ramon Arguelles, meanwhile, sent a text brigade saying, “the news of kidnapping of children in the province, most especially in Batangas City, is very alarming. Please alert everyone especially parents, elders and schools on this serious danger. The children may be victims of sex or organ trade syndicates”.
“I told PD (Police Director), even if there were some ‘hoax’ we cannot take lightly news like this. We have had news of young girls found dead in grasslands, raped and murdered. Most of these gruesome happenings are drug related. This cannot be simply set aside,” he added.