THE Philippine National Police (PNP) on Saturday said that at least 42 people were killed and 23 others were wounded in at least 65 incidents monitored since January.
Latest update from the PNP National Election Monitoring Action Center (NEMAC) said that of the 42 killed 21 were elected official, two former government official, two running for reelection on May 9.
In the same figure also killed were five candidates in various positions, nine political supporters and two civilians.
Based on demographic, the PNP NEMAC figure showed that Northern Mindanao Region has the highest number of casualties with 13, followed by the Ilocos Region with 11, Western Mindanao and Caraga region with nine casualties each.
Central Visayas Region has seven casualties, Bicol and Eastern Visayas regions with six casualties each, while Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon and Metro Manila have five casualties each. Western Visayas and Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) recorded three deaths each, Cordillera has two casualties and MIMAROPA (Mindoro, Marinduque, Romblon and Palawan) with only one death, so far.
In news briefing on Friday, PNP spokesman, Chief Supt. Wilben Mayor said that 16 election related incidents, from the 65 occurrences recorded since Jan. 10.
He said that of the 65 incidents, eight cases took place each in Northern and Western Mindanao, seven incidents were recorded in Southern Tagalog region, while five incidents were in Regions 1, 2, 7 and 13.
The PNP also listed at least nine provinces under Election Areas of Concern (EIC) as the country prepares for the synchronized national and local elections where around 50 million Filipinos are expected to troop the polling precincts.