ZAMBOANGA CITY: Police forces are still searching for the men who were seized by gunmen in the in the southern Philippine province of Sulu, officials said on Thursday.
Senior Superintendent Abraham Orbita, police chief of Sulu province, said Dr Salladin Teo and Wilfred Ngo, who were abducted along with two others Bernal Joe and Absuwal Sasapan, are still being held captive.
He said Joe and Sasapan were recovered by policemen in Tagbak village in Indanan town before dawn Wednesday.
The four men were seized in Siasi, an island-town off Sulu province late Tuesday and since then police forces were tracking down the gunmen until Joe and Sasapan were recovered in Indanan town.
“We are still searching for the remaining captives. The victims were all seized from Dr Teo’s house in Siasi and the gunmen dragged them to a waiting speedboat and escaped. There was a pursuit operation shortly after the abduction and one report claimed the victims landed in [the village of]Luuk Tulay in Pata town where our forces are now deployed,” Orbita told The Times.
He said the two freed men were immediately brought to hospital for medical examination and later to the police headquarters in Jolo town for debriefing. “The motive of the abduction is still unknown,” he said.
No group claimed responsibility for the abductions, but Abu Sayyaf rebels have been largely blamed for many ransom kidnappings in the province. AL JACINTO