The Commission on Elections (Comelec) First Division is set to issue a decision to disqualify a Mayor who allegedly bought votes in the May 2013 elections, Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. revealed in a press briefing on Wednesday.
Brillantes, who refused to name the candidate said that the decision is already ruling, defending that the Comelec is not “kidding” in penalizing against erring candidates who are violating election offense.
He said that they are not looking into the political affiliations of the candidate, adding that the Mayor who will be disqualified is possibly an ally of President Benigno Aquino 3rd.
Comelec’s First Division has earlier disqualified Gov. Emilio Ramon “ER” Ejercito of Laguna for overspending in the May 201 elections.
Asked by the reporters for a clue, Brillantes said that they had already published the case, noting that the money used for vote buying was brought before them.
“It was a first hearing that we can see. Nagkaroon na kami ng konting publicity before kasi dinala dito ang cash mismo . . . naka-envelope ang dami-daming pera [We had a bit of publicity before because cash was brought here before us . . . these were in envelopes, so much money],” Brillantes said.