Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla, on Wednesday assured the public that the country has enough power supply until 2019.
“I don’t think we will ever have enough at this point but what I am saying is we have enough at least for the [next]three to four years,” he said.
Early this year, the Department of Energy (DOE) said supply of electricity would hold until the end of summer this year or by May.
At the time, however, the Energy department warned of possible brownouts in the Luzon grid because of thinning supply of electricity.
The warning led to Petilla predicting a power crisis and calling on Congress to grant President Benigno Aquino 3rd emergency powers.
His call has been unheeded by lawmakers.
Petilla, who filed his resignation last month supposedly in preparation for seeking a Senate seat in the 2016 elections, said there are 66 power plants being put up in the country.
“With the development of renewable energy, the power industry now provides 400 megawatts from wind towers as well as 70 MW from solar energy plants, with a projection of 100 MW by March of next year,” he added.
“As a result, the price of electricity at the Wholesale Electricity Spot Market (WESM) has gone down compared to two years ago,” Petilla noted.