The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) will break ground for the Philippines’ first resort airport and the Aquino Administration’s first airport public-private partnership (PPP) project on June 29.
“The kick-off ceremony for the construction of the new international terminal for the country’s second biggest gateway, the Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA), is touted to be the start of Philippine airports matching the best in the world,” DOTC Secretary Joseph Emilio Aguinaldo Abaya said.
“It will not only cement our place on the global map as a major tourist and business destination; it will boost the local economy and is projected to generate jobs, especially in Cebu,” he added.
The project, as envisioned by concessionaire GMR-Megawide Cebu Airport Corporation (GMCAC), covers the construction of a new international passenger terminal building (PTB), as well as the renovation of the existing PTB and its conversion into an exclusively domestic facility.
Construction of the new terminal is scheduled for completion in three years, or by 2018, while the renovation of the existing terminal is slated to be completed in 2019. The airport’s passenger capacity is expected to grow from 4.5 million to 12.5 million per year.
GMCAC won the auction for the 25-year PPP contract last year, after offering the government a premium bid of P14.4 billion.
“What it will do now that we are breaking ground is exciting for us, and especially for travelers to and from Cebu,” Abaya said.