President Benigno Aquino 3rd remains optimistic that Congress will be able to pass the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) by next month.
“As what the House leadership had promised, it seems that they are within schedule,” he said in a radio interview on Thursday.
The President noted that Cagayan de Oro City Rep. Rufus Rodriguez, who heads an ad hoc committee that has been revisiting the BBL, gave his assurances that they would be able to finish the review process by June 15.
He said he considers proposing amendments to the BBL to be a “normal” process.
Aquino particularly cited Citizens’ Peace Council member and retired Chief Justice Hilario Davide Jr., who had explained the appropriate perspective on the BBL.
The Malacanang-created peace council is also reviewing provisions of the Bangsamoro law.
Lawmakers’ support for the BBL waned after 44 police commandos were killed by rebels from the separatist Moro Islamic Liberation Front last January 25 in Mamasapano, Maguindanao.
The Rodriguez committee had been expected to report out results of its deliberations on the BBL on May 11, only to fail to do so.
The President had hoped that Congress would be able to deliver on the BBL before his last State of the Nation Address in July.