• President refuses to confirm or deny Maliksi is next PCSO chief

    0

    President Benigno Aquino 3rd has neither confirmed nor denied reports that former Cavite congressman Erineo “Ayong” Maliksi is going to be the next chairman of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) following Margarita Juico’s resignation.

    The Manila Times Chairman Emeritus Dr. Dante A. Ang wrote in the newspaper’s May 8 issue that Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr. said the President had promised the PCSO chairmanship to Maliksi, a presidential ally who lost his gubernatorial bid in 2013.

    But President Aquino refused to deny or confirm The Times report.

    “Can we wait for the appointment? Sooner, and we will come to it as soon as possible,” Aquino told reporters in an interview after the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Summit in Myanmar.

    Juico, a long-time friend of the Aquino family, last week filed her resignation, citing family reasons as what prompted her to quit her post.

    The President thanked Juico for the many years of service she spent with the government, dating back to the administration of his mother, late former President Corazon Aquino.

    “So [she]seemed to be the right individual to place in that position at [the]time. She was hesitant to accept it. She wanted . . . not as [chairman], she wanted, if at all, to be a member of the board,” Aquino said.

    “So for her to have rendered service all this time is, I think, suffice to say is ‘thank you,’” he added

    The President also acknowledged that serving the government reaches a “saturation point.”

    “It takes quite a terrible toll on so many things. From your income, to being the magnet for all criticisms, to having no private life, to being invaded in each and every step . . . ,” he said

    “There is a point, I guess, everybody will have a saturation point. And every time that they continue in serving our people, I thank them. But I do recognize that there are days, and there are points that you want to say: ‘Is there something else that I can do?’” the President added.

    No revamp

    Meanwhile, Aquino has ruled out any plan to reshuffle or replace members of his Cabinet.

    “You know I am always asked about a Cabinet revamp and I wonder why. [But] in all honesty , as I did mention . . . most of my Cabinet [members]have been with me from Day One, and if I remember one of the first who really expressed the stress levels was the Cabinet Secretary or the current Cabinet Secretary. At this point in time, nobody is yet being replaced,” he said.

    Aquino, however, admitted that there are some who “would want to go back to their private endeavors.”

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Comments are closed.