TUGUEGARAO CITY, Cagayan: Governor Manuel Mamba challenged the representative of the province’s second district to conduct an inquiry into the billion-peso illegal drug bust in Claveria town recently, which he claimed was connected to narco-politics.
“I urge Congresswoman Aline Vargas-Alfonso to conduct an inquiry into this very alarming drug situation in her district,” Mamba said.
The governor said the situation in Claveria is alarming, with the recovery of more than 200 kilograms of methamphetamine hydrochloride (shabu). He did not rule out the involvement of some barangay officials in the illegal drug trade.
Recently, operatives of various government agencies of Regions 1 and 2 hauled some 210 kilograms of shabu in two separate incidents in Claveria, which police said was possibly smuggled from mainland China or Taiwan.
On June 24, a barangay chairman—Marzan Victor Tumaneng of Barangay Centro 4 and his three accomplices were caught with 30 transparent plastic bags of shabu they negotiated with a poseur-buyer for P150 million in a beach resort.
On July 3, a follow up operation led to the recovery of at least 180 kilograms of shabu worth P900 million buried in Barangay Culao, also in Claveria.
“This is a clear indication that the illegal drug proliferation in Cagayan’s second district has something do with narco-politics backed up by police initial investigation showing that well known politicians are involved,” Mamba said.
The governor also challenged the provincial board, led by Vice Governor Melvin Vargas and Board Member Jeff Vargas, to find out why the recent illegal drug busts and last year’s shabu laboratory, were all found in the second district of Cagayan.
In March last year, a raid of a shabu laboratory yielded a stash of liquid shabu estimated to cost P1.9 billion.
Among the towns in Cagayan’s second district, Mamba said, illegal drug activities are rampant in Claveria, Abulog, Ballesteros, Lasam and Pamplona.