• Property regimes future spouses could choose from

    Persida Acosta

    Persida Acosta

    Dear PAO,
    What property regime should govern marriages celebrated in the year 2005?

    Dear EBV,
    The Family Code of the Philippines is the law in effect for marriages that are celebrated in 2005. Pursuant to Article 75 thereof, future spouses may, in the marriage settlements, agree upon the regime of absolute community, conjugal partnership of gains, complete separation of property, or any other regime. In the absence of marriage settlement or when the regime agreed upon by the spouses is void, however, the system of absolute community of property shall apply.

    Under the regime of absolute community of property, all the property owned by the spouses at the time of the celebration of their marriage or acquired thereafter shall form their community property (Article 91, Family Code of the Philippines [FCP]). This shall commence at the precise moment that the marriage is celebrated (Article 88, FCP).

    But there are certain classes of property that are considered as exclusive property of the spouses and, as such, are excluded from their community property. These are enumerated in Article 92 of the above-mentioned law, to wit:

    Article 92. The following shall be excluded from the community property:

    1. Property acquired during the marriage by gratuitous title by either spouse, and the fruits as well as the income thereof, if any, unless it is expressly provided by the donor, testator or grantor that they shall form part of the community property.

    2. Property for personal and exclusive use of either spouse. Jewelry, however, shall form part of the community property;

    3. Property acquired before the marriage by either spouse who has legitimate descendants by a former marriage, and the fruits as well as the income, if any, of such property.

    The administration and enjoyment of the community property shall belong to both spouses jointly. In case of disagreement, the husband’s decision shall prevail, subject to recourse to the court by the wife for a proper remedy, which must be availed of within five (5) years from the date of the contract implementing such decision (Article 96, FCP).

    We hope that we were able to answer your queries. Please be reminded that this advice is based solely on the facts that you have narrated and our appreciation of the same. Our opinion may vary when other facts are changed or elaborated.

    Editor’s note: Dear PAO is a daily column of the Public Attorney’s Office. Questions for Chief Acosta may be sent to dearpao@manilatimes.net


    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    1 Comment

    1. Dear Atty. Acosta I have 2 daughters before my marriage their father is my past boyfriend, I acquired lots at my single name. And now I’m married at different person, my new husband plan to build a house in the lot i acquired. Can i apply this article in our situation? He is planning to build our house thru loan in financing institutions like banks but in his name alone because as of now I’m a plain housewife. Thank you in advance