‘Puto pao,’ ice candy down 300 in Laguna

1

Calamba City: More than 300 students of Real Elementary School in Barangay Real, Calamba City in La-guna were rushed to different hospitals after they complained of stomach pain and vomiting.

Real Elementary School principal Marivic Calderon said Haribon Foundation together with AMS Asia, Inc. conducted a lecture for students regarding their Biodiversity on Wheels program.

After the lecture, they distributed snacks composed of ‘puto pao’ and ice candy to the students.

The students experienced stomach ache and vomiting after taking the snacks.


Angelie Marie, facilitator of AMS Asia said the snacks were prepared by their company’s canteen.

At least 313 students were treated in various medical facilities in the city. In Calamba Medical Center, 180 students were treated and sent home while three were confined for further tests and observa-tion.

At least 75 students were admitted at the Pamana hospital while 55 students were treated at the Out Patient Department of the St. John Hospital.

Mayor Justin Chipeco immediately instructed Jeff Rodriguez, head of Public Affairs Office, to bring all the children to various hospitals in the city even those who have not yet shown symptoms for proper diagnostic examination and treatment.

City Health Officer Dr. Adelino Labro brought samples of the cupcakes to the Department of Science and Technology in the nearby town of Los Banos and to the Food and Drugs Administration in Alabang, Muntinlupa, while the staff of the City Health Office and Mayor’s Office were deployed to various hospitals to assist the children and their parents.

Meanwhile, Calamba City Chief of Police Senior Supt. Fernando Ortega said they invited 14 employees of AMS Asia, Inc and two Haribon Foundation staff members to their station for investigation.

WITH PNA

Share.
.
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

1 Comment

  1. causes mostly is the high humidity, if the food like puto pao are not cooled properly prior for his packing in the plastic it will create moisture then a build up of tiny molds (bacteria) this may cause the children to feel bad. Other causes is unhygienic way of handling the foods.