• QC sets July 30 ultimatum for squatters

    0

    THE Quezon City government plied its warning to private and informal settlers families (ISFs) to start packing their bags and tearing down their make-shift structures along roads and waterways, lest demolition descend upon them after July 30.

    Tadeo Palma secretary to the mayor and head of the city’s “Task Force Waterways” said they have already complied with the legal requirements that allow them to conduct demolition of illegal structures occupied by squatters in three road lots and a creek in the city after July 30.

    Palma said the power of the city government to conduct demolition and remove squatter structures will affect those occupying a portion of Ag-ham Road in North Triangle, Payatas Road at the back the Justice Cecilia Palma High School which was named after his mother, Dupax Road in Barangay Old Balara and the shanties near the West Kamias waterways.

    “We have certificates of compliance issued by the local housing board. We have already met all legal requirements before dismantling illegal structures of those informal settlers,” Palma said.

    Mayor Herbert Bautista is the head of the housing board composed of various non-governmental organizations and other stakeholders.

    Palma clarified that the affected squatters had already received their notices of eviction to belie claims that the demolition order will come as a surprise.

    And despite the refusal of squatters to avail of a relocation site in Bocaue, Bulacan with the National Housing Authority, Palma insisted the city government will enforce the board’s order anytime.

    Those who will defy the order will also be treated humanely with negotiations to thwart any untoward incidents that happened before.

    However, Palma said the city government plans to extend its July 30 “self-demolition” requirement of squatter homes occupying San Juan and Tullahan rivers as talks and consultations are still on-going.

    The city government has set July 30 as the deadline for the city’s estimated 3,000 squatter families living near the waterways to voluntarily vacate the danger zone or face the predicament of being forcibly evicted.

    Palma issued the statement in the wake of his conversation with Interior Secretary Mar Roxas 2nd who gave him standing orders for the city government to focus on the relocation squatters living near the waterways.

    Share.